Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Synesthesia

"When discussing synesthesia in art, a distinction needs to be made between two possible meanings:
  1. Art by synesthetes, in which they draw on their personal synesthetic perceptions to create works of art.
  2. Art that is meant to evoke synesthetic associations in a general (mainly non-synesthetic) audience."
-Wikipedia, Synesthesia in art

I think that everyone must be able to experience a form of synesthesia to varying degrees. This is almost like another dimension of the universe. Sure, everyone in film seems to be jumping on the 3d bandwagon, but I feel that synesthesia is much more interesting. I always knew that certain colors can evoke certain emotions, and yes, even certain music will make me think of different colors as well. However, I did not know that there was actually a science behind all of this.

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around this concept of synesthesia as a science because I could never be so sure to say for instance that the number 5 is always red. I find it incredibly interesting that songs and paintings can be analyzed using this. When learning about cymatics, it just makes me wonder whether this sort of thing subconsciously makes people like one song more than another - and they don't even know it. It seems as if synethetics is a little like an instinct that an artist can to rely on.

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine (CymaScope)

No comments:

Post a Comment