Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cameraless filmmaking

Okay, so I really like this whole cameraless filmmaking thing.

I think most of the time I feel like I'm doing arts and crafts back in elementary school again. When I first got into this class, I thought that 3 hours in one class would be WAY too long for me to ever be able to focus, let alone have fun. I found out that I really like being able to experiment & try things I have never done before in this class.

Today, when everything is digital and can easily be edited on a computer, I think it's sometimes much more enjoyable to do everything by hand. When I'm editing a project in Final Cut, it's just clicking a bunch of buttons and finding out what works. There's not too much of a thought process behind it. But when you are dealing with real film in your hands, everything comes much more organically. You also have a lot of room to experiment and try new things. People always say "film is dead," and this may be so, but a lot of people don't realize the benefits behind working with real film (even if it is only for the selfish filmmaker I guess). These days, working with film is almost like learning a part of movie history, which is pretty cool too. Although film is seen as a lot of work for the same payoff, after this experience I might say that working with film is not as limited as working with digital files.

filmmaking = POWER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment