Monday, April 2, 2012

"What is your rough theater?"

The thing I liked best about this article, is that it brings to light the point that sometimes "perfection" isn't what you might think it is.

So in a "rough theater" type of place, you might have a MUCH better time than going to some sort of fancy commercial theater with so-called perfection of the giant screen and comfy chairs, etc. *Ahem, my opinion.

Well, I definitely agree with this. In order to relate this to film, you might say that a blockbuster commercial hit may be able to appeal to everyone with its special effects and all those bells and whistles. And maybe you'd see this movie in a theater in front of the big screen with thousands of strangers. But my favorite way to see a movie is to be at home with my roommates and make my own popcorn *a little bit less expensive too!* and be able to comment whenever we would like. I think the appeal of this, for me, is being able to focus on the "entertainment" of the piece rather than making sure to be polite and all of that.

I think a "rough theater" just gives off that feeling of being more free-spirited, more local and intimate, and a better experience. On the opposite end, the big commercial movies and theaters are run by the big-businesses and it is usually pretty clear that they are in it for the money (there is no arguing against this - how many sequels have been made this year?! ugh.). So anyway, the "rough theater" has that local and personal appeal, where you don't feel cheated by a system. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment